One of my favorite parts of this time of year is the way everybody from the New York Times to Cat Fancy Magazine publishes their "year in review" or "top ten" lists. It's a great way to catch up on stuff you missed, as well as to see how pretentious the reviewers are (hint: you can tell by whether Joanna Newsom makes their list.)
Unless you missed this summer's greatest album death-march you already know that I'm a little obsessed with music. This year, however, thanks to the
tingly magic illegal piracy of music downloading and the shuffle feature on my iPod I'm declaring the album an officially dead medium. I can't even remember the last time I listened to one from beginning to end, and the effort of rising off the couch to change a CD? No thanks...I've got to save that energy to scratch myself.
So how do you have a year-in-music blog without listing the best albums? Well, first you call James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich, laugh and jeer into the receiver, then hang up. Then you lament that music just isn't as good as it used to be, and complain that the best album of the year didn't even contain music from this decade. Then you do what Rob Gordon would do: you make a mix-tape.
So here's my mix-tape for the end of the year, with 20 songs that I was digging these last twelve months in no particular order.
- Lily Allen - LDN - from Alright, Still
- Regina Spektor - On the Radio - from Begin to Hope
- Golfrapp - Fly Me Away - from Supernature
- Wolfmother - Dimension - from Wolfmother
- Hot Chip - Over and Over - from The Warning
- Pearl Jam - World Wide Suicide - from Pearl Jam
- Jamie Lidell - Multiply - from Multiply
- Guster - Manifest Destiny - from Ganging Up on the Sun
- Maritime - Parade of Punk Rock T-Shirts - from We, the Vehicles
- Gnarls Barkley - Crazy - from St. Elsewhere
- The Sounds - Tony the Beat - from Dying to Say This to You
- The Rapture - Get Myself Into It - from Pieces of the People We Love
- My Morning Jacket - Mahgeetah (live) - from Okonokos
- M. Ward - Chinese Translation - from Post-War
- The Killers - Read My Mind - from Sam's Town
- Kelley Stoltz - Birdies Singing - from Below the Branches
- The Hold Steady - Chips Ahoy - from Boys and Girls in America
- The Black Keys - Keep Your Hands Off Her - from Chulahoma
- The Automatic - Monster - from Not Accepted Anywhere
- "Weird Al" Yankovic - You're Pitiful - from Weird Al's website (scroll down)
The CroutonBoy 2006 Year-End Awards are coming up soon. In the mean time, have a happy (and safe) New Year!