My clearest memories of Independence Day growing up--aside from lighting snakes on the driveway--was around the US Bicentennial in 1976. All the teachers in school were a-twitter about the significance ("200 years old!") and regaled us with tales of Paul Revere, Thomas Jefferson, and Ben Franklin. The fireworks were an extra-big deal that year, and celebrities like Sandy Duncan , Captain & Tennille, and Evel Knievel all seemed to have specials celebrating it. As a six year-old, it was AWESOME.
So when a group of comrades on a music bulletin board I periodically waste time on decided to split up the 70's and make mixes for each year of the decade, I volunteered for 1976. I was a little worried at first, since '76 was when Zeppelin and the Stones started phoning it in and just before punk really took off, but I was able to pull together a respectable retrospective of the year.
To celebrate your 4th, and perhaps transport yourself back to a time when there wasn't all the hand-wringing about flag-pins and patriotism, I'm sharing the mix with you. While you're at it, you should check out some of the great other mixes from the decade, like 1975 and 1978.
Here's the tracklist, and you can download it here. You go enjoy now.
- Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
- AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
- Kiss - Shout it Out Loud
- Aerosmith - Sick as a Dog
- Boston - More Than a Feeling
- Styx - Lorelei
- Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action
- Electric Light Orchestra - Do Ya
- Rod Stewart - The Killing of Georgie (Part I and II)
- Peter Frampton - Lines on my Face
- The Modern Lovers - Pablo Picasso
- Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves
- Tom Waits - Tom Traubert's Blues
- Gordon Lightfoot - Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
- Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper
- Bob Dylan - Mozambique
- The Commodores - Fancy Dancer
- Hot Chocolate - You Sexy Thing
- KC & The Sunshine Band - I'm Your Boogie Man
- Boz Scaggs - Lido Shuffle
- Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
We're doing the 80's next so keep your eyes open for another mix once we kick that off. I've already claimed 1982, and I've whittled the tracklist down to a cozy 41 songs.